Vernacular: How to speak like a gangster

The thug vernacular is the language of the streets. It’s the lifeblood, if you will, of the gansta’ lifestyle. The way we express ourselves is the way we think; it’s an intricate fusion of language and action, a practical synthesis of how language interacts with life.

In order to become a real thug, the prospective “thuggee” must be able to blend in and recognize the language intricacies of fellow thugs. Without the vernacular, our “Rosetta Stone”, the prospective thug would be cast into the oblivion of the ice-hard streets, unable to survive. We aim to remedy this crippling virus with the strongest antibodies we have: the knowledge of language. Read on, if you’re brave enough to travel along.


Up in Here - At this location

The roof is on fire - This party is so great that it could ignite this venue

I'ma bust a cap - I aim to improve my community

Throw Some Ds - Apply better wheel rims to this car

Phat - Very nice

Maaaaan - You, good sir, I am referring to you

Check out my kicks - Behold my new shoes! I think they look nice

Dis ice, yo - Please check out my jewelry

Representing - (1) I am a social peacock (2) I am a spokesperson of sorts

Grills - My jeweled braces; imagine how great my teeth will look when I get these off.

OG - honorific title, "Original Gangster." – The highest honor a thug can achieve

Public Enemy - Villain of the Public

That's how you know me - You must wait for my business card

Pimp cane - My medical apparatus that keeps me mobile

Caddy - Cadillac

Rolling/Cruising - Riding in my car

Holla (Man to Woman) - This is my sweet serenade, have I swooned you?

Get jiggy with it – To bust a move

Dr. Dre - A prominent practitioner of mixology

Get your freak on - Prepare for glory!

Gangster Rap - Proletariat anthem

I'm on a boat! - Behold! My yacht is pristine

Get rich or die trying - Grab wealth or die in the pursuit

Crew - Gangster solidarity